Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving

Yep. It's true...we're almost there. This is Daily Blog Challenge post 25, and it's Thanksgiving Day.

First of all, a couple thanks are in order. First off, Curt for pushing to get a game together a few years ago (and convincing me to help DM the Gygax tribute games). Mark for volunteering to act as DM (and cooking dinner). You two got me back into the hobby. Sara for hosting (and healing). Thanks to Tim for allowing me the opportunity to see another DM in action. Dave and Allen for volunteering to get behind the screen so we could try out some different games (and playing in just about every game I play in). Jen for hosting (and trying out this totally bizarro hobby). Hickey, Brad and Paul for agreeing to play in my game (and showing up just about every game session). Tim and John for running some OSR games at GASP and GASPCon, giving me the opportunity to relive my childhood a little (and discover a lot of what I'm missing by playing the modern games). Everyone I've had the pleasure of gaming with over the past 5 years...It's way too many to list, but it was all pretty great. Finally, my handful of readers here at Gutter Cult. Thanks for the feedback and support.

On to a topic of sorts. Well, not really a topic....just letting you all know about the sale going on over at Brave Halfling Publishing. The third printing of Swords & Wizardry White Box box set is on sale for $25 (plus $5 shipping). I probably didn't really need another OSR box set, but I couldn't pass up the deal. The set contains 4 rule books (Characters, Spells, Monsters, & Treasure), a copy of the "Quick Primer for Old-School Gaming" (which I feel should be required reading for all gamers -- pdf is free at the previous link), character sheets, a pencil, and a set of dice, all in a game box. The first 50 orders also get two modules, "The Vile Worm of the Eldritch Oak" & "Ruins of Ramat." Here's hoping I got me order in early enough. They are supposed to ship Monday, so I'll report back, with opinions, once I have it in my hands.

http://bravehalfling.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/100_0556.jpg
Contents of the S&W White Box box set
Like I said above, I really didn't need this. This is my third OSR related box set. I also have the Lamentations of the Flame Princess Weird Fantasty Role-playing and the limited edition Spellcraft & Swordplay box. All the content is available via free PDF on the Mythmere site. I even have the PDFs saved on my laptop already. I guess I'm just a sucker for these box sets for some reason. I did really like the presentation, though, and I definitely liked the price.

In case you haven't been paying attention or missed my earlier posts where I talked about it, Swords & Wizardry is a clone of 1974 edition D&D, sometimes called OD&D. They have two versions. The Core Rules cover the three original Little Brown Books (LBB), plus the supplements. The White Box only contains rules from the LBBs. There is also well designed set of Quick Start rules for S&W, for those interested in getting a taste without investing to time to read the full books.

That's all for today. Hopefully, I'll have a bit more to say about Hollow Earth Expedition tomorrow. Gonna start reading some more of the core book right now.

4 comments:

  1. I've been sitting on the fence about that S&W boxed set for a while, but I'm pulling the trigger now before he stops making them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah...it's cheaper than a single book for most of those new-fangled games, and it's a complete system. You really can't beat it (until you remember you already have all the info on your laptop plus about 5 other variants of the same rules in print and digital editions...hah.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, right about the other variants. The collector in me can't resist and I think it might be a good introductory game for my kids. Plus, there is just something about a boxed set that I like. I think it's because it just feels "right" to have a game packaged in a box.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooo - nice new edition.

    One of the big advantages of a hard copy is the tactile feel of flipping through the books. Plus new players seem to LOVE flipping through a book

    ReplyDelete