Monday, November 8, 2010

GASPCon is just around the corner!

Here's the sixth post for the DBloC Challenge. Kind of a slow day, gamer-nerd wise, but I came up with something to post. I really want to keep this streak going. I (finally) watched David Cronenberg's Rabid. I've had it from Netflix for a few weeks. I'm not sure why I sat on it for so long. It was pretty great, and I'm glad I finally got around to seeing it. I also caught the first two episodes of The Walking Dead, and they were everything I had hoped. I'm bored to death with zombies, but they did a great job, and I plan on continuing to watch (plus the new episode featured Michael Rooker, which is always an added bonus).

Anyway, onto the gamer nerd content. GASPCon is just about 4 days away now and I'm getting pretty excited. So excited, in fact, that I'm feeling the need to share my gaming schedule with you.

Friday 2-6: Spellcraft & Swordplay - A Bridget Too Far
Only three of us are signed up to play, so hopefully the DM can work around that. Spellcraft & Swordplay was developed by Pittsburgher Jason Vey. He attempts to return to the playing style of the earliest editions of Dungeons & Dragons, sticking with the D6 based Chainmail rules for combat. It's supposed to emulate what might have happened if the game developed down that path, instead of revamping the combat system. I've never played the game, but I have the limited edition "Old School" box set. It was sitting at Phantom and I couldn't resist. I'm happy to finally get to check it out.

Friday 7-11: Labyrinth Lord - A Pit of Despair
Labyrinth Lord is a D&D clone. The game is going to be run by Tim Harper, who also runs the LL game I played at GASP game day last month. I'm ready for some old school action here. My one experience playing with Tim was great and I'm assuming this will live up to it.

Saturday 9-1: Hackmaster Basic - The Town of Knarr's Rest
I played a session of Hackmaster Basic at Origins this year and had a blast. It's a great hybrid of old school feel, with more modern mechanics. I have a feeling this might run a little like City of Homlet, which is a-ok by me.


Saturday 2-6: Savage Worlds - Scraptown Run
Savage Worlds is designed for "Fast, Furious, Fun" game play. I'm really excited to see the system in action. I've read the rule book. I've read some of the settings books. I'm glad I'll finally get to jump in with both feet. The adventure is using a post-apocalyptic setting, based on the Road Warrior and Fallout. Sounds right up my alley.

Saturday 7-11: Lamentations of the Flame Princess - Death Frost Doom
More OSR madness. Again, I have a lot of the materials for this game, but haven't had the opportunity to play. The GM originally lined up to run this had to cancel, but they've found a replacement. Here's hoping he is able to portray the appropriate feel for the game. It should be dark, weird and deadly. I really want to run something with this rules set, so here's hoping I can get some inspiration.

Sunday 9-1: Labyrinth Lord - Under Xylarthen's Tower
Another Labyrinth Lord game run by Tim Harper. I just can't get enough!

Sunday 2-6: Barbarians of Lemuria - Gladiators Unite
Barbarians of Lemuria is a rules-light Swords and Sorcery RPG. I barely know anything about it, but the system and the game concept sounded fun, so I decided to give it a shot.

I'll probably be providing detailed accounts of the game session after everything is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment