Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Pretzels and Eggplants

For right now, this is going to act as sort of a place holder for some recipes I pulled off this week.

Sunday night I made soft pretzels using the recipe recommended by Alton Brown on the Food Network site. I did it without the stand mixer, just mixing the dough with a wooden spoon then finishing the kneading by hand. If you are going to try this recipe, I recommend letting the dough rise a bit longer. Next time I do it, I'm going to punch it down after an hour, then check on it again an hour later. After I roll out the pretzels, I'll probably let them proof briefly one last time, before boiling and baking. My pretzels really puffed up during the boil and bake, to the point that a few of them kind of turned into pretzel wads, rather than the expected shape. They tasted a-okay, though. For now, I'll just give you the link, but I'll try to add a little more commentary later, if I get a chance to try out the modified recipe:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/homemade-soft-pretzels-recipe/index.html

Monday night, I made "eggplant parm" subs for the roomies. It worked out pretty well, in my opinion. I didn't use a recipe or write anything down, but I think I can pretty much recreate it here. I'll do that soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment